BABES is hiring an HIV-positive Peer Advocate!
REPORTS TO: BABES Program Manager Nicole Price
DESCRIPTION: BABES Network-YWCA is a peer leadership program for women and families affected by HIV, a sisterhood of women facing HIV together. BABES promotes self-empowerment, reduces isolation, enhances quality of life and serves the needs of women living with HIV and their families through peer support, advocacy, education and outreach.
Operating on the concept that HIV positive women are uniquely qualified to understand and support one another, BABES Network’s HIV positive Peer Advocates support our mission by helping other HIV positive women move into positions of leadership. They provide peer mentorship and education to other HIV positive women, and recruit women for events and retreats. Peer Advocates may also perform community outreach and prevention education at schools, treatment centers, shelters, prisons, churches, businesses and other groups.
- Engage HIV+ members in conversations about treatment adherence, medical care, support
- Support healthy behaviors and attitudes among BABES’ multi-cultural membership with active listening, strength-based counsel, education and modeling
- Respond to provider referrals and self-referred women to provide welcoming service entry point for newly diagnosed or those re-entering the care system
- Facilitate support groups, events and retreats.
- Visit members in the hospital or at home as prearranged with supervisor.
- Work with co-workers to develop an effective team to fulfill BABES Network mission.
- Provide resources and referrals to women living with HIV/AIDS including food, housing and transportation assistance, medical care and case management
- Stay up-to-date on medical developments related to HIV and changes to AIDS services
To view the full job description click here!